The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Brendan wrote:

> > > Why are American kids getting dumber? Instead of technology being pushed
> > > into every crevice, we need some research that conclusively says where
> > > it's needed, and where an actual book is better. Mostly, this is going to
> > > be used for IM to other kids. Of course, some of them are going to learn
> > > more with a laptop, and I guess we'll just depend on those kids making it
> > > to adulthood to run the country.
> >
> > American kids aren't getting dumber - less is expected of them.  Expect
> > more of them and more will accomplish.
>
> I am not sure where this is directed.

I don't think schools expect enough of students.  I direct this at schools
more needs to be expected to students.

> > I read somewhere, don't recall where that majority of the cost built in to
> > a text book is wooing the professor to pick the said book.  That will need
> > to change.  The costs drop for the publishers on this point as well as
> > they don't need to buy, print, and bound paper.  Tree huggers should also
> > love this.
>
> "Tree huggers"? Sensible people who like the environment?
> How about producing all those laptops. You don't think that that might have a
> tiny effect on that thar environment?

I think a well done laptop will have less negative affects on the
environment than all the books that are made for schools.  I could be off
on that - no evidence to back up how much resources are spent on the
production of this laptop.

> > > Remember, all the great achievements in nearly every subject have all
> > > been achieved with actual books teaching actual students. Kepler didn't
> > > have the newest Toshiba. Galileo didn't IM his buddies to tell them about
> > > the bowling ball experiment and Copernicus didn't leave a .doc attachment
> > > saying he wanted to posthumously publish his works.
> >
> > This point, not to be rude, is really short sited.  What about Steven
> > Hawking?  He is arguably the largest source of new physics today and as
> > quad parapalegic with out a doubt needs a computer.  In fact I think I
> > could safely argue that without a computer his acheivements could never be
> > realized - at least by him.  I could go on about this point but I think it
> > should be understood.
>
> This is not a "point". What does Hawking have to do with a discussion of cost
> and teaching methods? If you are just argumentative by nature...Honestly,
> this is not a pissing match. I am curious as to what people with informed
> opinions think on this one.

You mention great people that didn't use a computer.  I mentioned a great
person who would not have been able to contribute with out a computer.
The computer is the enabling technology for hawking to do what he does;
contribute new ideas to a field loaded with brilliant people.

> > > We need more teachers that are held to higher standards while making more
> > > money, teaching fewer kids, not throwing technology against the wall and
> > > hoping something sticks. We *have* the solutions to the sliding scale in
> > > this country and it's green, hires more teachers with horn-rimmed glasses
> > > actually *sitting* with students until they get it.
> >
> > agree - teachers should be held to a higher plane.  However tech can make
> > learning more interesting and perhaps motivate students that would not
> > have been motivated previously.
>
> A higher plane?
> Yes, and "tech" can turn off people too...How about teaching with monkeys? I'm
> sure some kids will love that too. Nevermind that a lot of kids might find
> this method...un-fufilling. The point is that you cannot just throw new
> methods into the mix on a grand scale and expect everyone to go along with
> it. Come with data to back up that new method.

Tech is quickly turning into a way of passing ideas, much the way books
do.  However tech also offers an easier medium for passing ideas, it seems
much more democratic as ideas can easily be passed from content A to B; it
also brings more people to the table.  Another nice aspect of the computer
is how data is presented.  Do you remeber Carmen Sandiego?  I thought
learning geography with that game was a blast when I was a kid.  How about
math blaster - another fun game that taught something.  There are many
math games out there if a child doesn't like one go to another.

> > Your first point I feel is your stongest presented, however the Linux
> > comunity is addressing these problems - what happens if the books burn?
> > We need a sprinkler system...
>
> What are you talking about? Books burn in kids backpacks? I guess I am not
> following.

computers don't get infected when there in backpacks either (for the most
part anyway).  Library books can burn when they are in a library that is
on fire.  Computers get infected, for the most part, when they are on
networks that have an infection.  Libraries have protection -sprinkler
systems; so do computers virus scanners and privlidges.  I think the
comparison holds water, no pun intended :).

> > Your second point will probably come true as well; however what if also in
> > that same IM chat Susie helps with algebra homework.  Pleasure can be
> > woven into study time, just need to be careful in what amounts.  Also this
> > isn't techs fault as she could just as easily call and have the same
> > conversation.  Phones have beebeen problem for parents for many years.
>
> I'm sorry, you just seem to be arguing to argue. This seems pointless.

So sorry you feel that way.

Anthony