xhost: unable to open display ":0.0"

  It is. xhost +localhost has always been a feature of the
user profile.

>> I just discovered a subtilety in the behavior. If I "su -" directly
>> from user I do not have the problem. It is when I first "su" and then
>> "su -" that xhost is unable to open the display.
>> So does this narrow the possibilities? I have two Fc4 systems I can
>> compare. Or should I leave it as a quirk that isn't worth figuring out?
>

> Ummm, did you try what I already suggested?

See above.

> It's not a quirk.  Whoever starts X is the only one who has rights to
> talk to X, or enable others to talk to X.  What's the mystery?

The mystery is that up until this upgrade to Fc4 I was able
to elevate myself to root privilege status with "su" and
then from that elevated status issue "su -" and become root,
all maintaining connection to the Xserver. Now, I can no
longer follow that pattern. If I want to maintain connection
to the Xserver I must "su -" directly from the unprivileged
  user status.

On the other machine that I did an "install" of Fc4, and
then copied back the profiles and config files to the user
accounts, I can follow the old pattern of privilege
elevation as I am acustommed to.