Could comcast be blocking port 6667 outbound?

Well, it is working for me again.  I eventually called Comcast, was told
that they didn't block ports (outbound at least, although the person I
talked to didn't know what IRC was), then figured I'd have the router
clone my desktop's mac address to force comcast to give me a new IP
address, figuring that might help, but first I power-cycled the router
again and tried connecting to irc, and it worked.  So I really don't know
what was going on, but it is working again.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --