Courier IMAP and Outlook issues

I'm seeing some odd behavior I've been unable to figure out. I'm
running Courier imap  4.0.3 on CentOS 4.1, and for the past couple
of weeks I've been getting sporadic reports from users that they can't
connect to the mail server.

Typically a few people can't connect but others can, and when I check
the imap server I find that the people having problems have several
imapd processes running. Sometimes there are six or seven imapd
processes stuck for that user, and sometimes only three or four. But
other users sometimes have two or three imapd processes, and when I ask
them, they report that their mail is working fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here? These users are
all running Outlook.

--
John Abreau
IT Manager