Weird imap problems

I'm running Courier IMAP, and I ran into a problem today that's
driving me nuts. I was fixing a problem with our openldap server
earlier today, and after resolving that, I started to check for other
problems that might have come up as a result.

When I checked our squirrelmail service, it wouldn't connect to imap;
I get the message

    ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server.

It turns out when I try telnet'ing to port 143 of the imap server from
the server that squirrelmail is on, it disconnects immediately, and
nothing is appearing in the logs on either server related to imap.
But from my other servers and desktops, telnet'ing to port 143 of the
imap server works just fine, and mail clients are working okay.

Any ideas of what might cause this? The server running squirrelmail
is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 5), and
the imap server is CentOS release 4.1 (Final).

--
John Abreau
IT Manager