Verizon Fios

Rich Braun wrote:
> If you're working with local regulators to build a brand new network,
> you'd be crazy to invest in DSL technology:  fiber, DOCSIS, or wireless
> are the only practical methods of laying new Internet infrastructure.

Speaking of fiber, last week I received an advertisement from Verizon
for their Fios service, which is a system where they run fiber to a
concentrator box in your neighborhood, and then run copper to your house.

Has anyone tried this out?

They're offering 5 Mbps down/2 Mbps up for $35/month, or 15 Mbps down/2
Mbps up for $45/month.

See:
http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

Now this would be really interesting if they offered a service like this
for business. I combed through their fine print and didn't see anything
prohibiting its use for business, but also didn't see any signs they'd
offer static IPs. I did find a link on the site for business service,
but it just leads to this sign up form:

https://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/OrderFios/olo_BusFios_FutureNotificationpage.aspx

where they'll notify you when it becomes available. (If it ends up
anything like cable modem service for business, the answer will be
practically never. I signed up on a similar form at Comcast (actually
one or two name changes ago) and never heard from them. RCN now offers
cable modem service for business (though the terms are a joke), but I
don't think Comcast ever did.)

You'd think the smaller customer base and higher margins would lead to
these services being rolled out for business first, rather than second.
Either they're afraid businesses will take advantage of the bandwidth
too much, or they are too excited about being able to sell video
services to consumers (see above URL for a link to "Fios TV").

Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
>> I very much doubt this will benefit the consumer.
>
> It gives companies more incentive to develop there infrastructure.

The above technology was originally developed at GTE I believe (one of
the predecessors to Verizon). I remember hearing about it from a friend
that was working on a test deployment. That was over 5 years ago. It
seems like it took them forever to actually get it deployed. I think it
has been speculated that they were dragging their feet waiting for the
prospect of a more favorable regulatory environment so that they
wouldn't have to share the new technology with their competitors. On the
other hand, it wasn't fear of competition, but cluelessness that led to
the glacially slow rollout of DSL (as others have mentioned).

  -Tom