Blocking port 25

Matthew Valites wrote:

>> Comcast is not blocking port 25 in your neighborhood. They are
>> not blocking it in mine. They ARE blocking it in this fellow's
>> neighborhood, and three streets up from me where a friend lives,
>> and presumably in other locations all around their network.
>>
>> This is the second time I've seen you spreading false
>> information about this. Just because it isn't happening in your
>> neighborhood doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere.
>>

> It would be nice if Comcast users on this list would post where
> they're located and whether they have port 25 blocked.  This would be
> especially useful to me since I'm moving come Sept, and would like to
> know if it's open in Brighton.  Since this issue has come up quite
> often on the list, it'd be even more useful to linux geeks if the BLU
> kept this information on the website so new linux users to the area
> could check it out before purchasing their service.  It would also be
> interesting to see if there's any trends as to where they block 25 and
> where they don't.  Blocking port 25 is reason enough for me to not get
> Comcast where I'm living.  However, I'm single, renting, and think
> that Comcast's customer service is a joke so I don't have much holding
> me back from looking elsewhere.
>
> I live in Teele Square, have Comcast, don't have port 25 blocked, and
> have to relay mail through smtp.comcast.net in order to not be
> blacklisted for dynamic ips.
>
> If other users would post this information as well, it'd be a great
> resource.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Matt

Matt,

I'm in Sharon, equidistant between Boston and Providence. Comcast blocks
port 25 and port 80 here.

Speakeasy quotes $55.95/month for 1.5/384 ADSL, with one static IP
included, but that's the best they can do since I'm ~15Kf from the CO.
They'll also allow me to share a wireless connection with my neighbor
and bill the neighbor directly.

Bill Horne