Subject: [BOS] Unix Engineer needed
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0400
From: Matt Ryan <mattryan.at.pobox.com at gmail.com>
To: david at thekramers.net
<b1478bdb0507240859221aefbf at mail.gmail.com>
<b1478bdb05072409442cff4fa4 at mail.gmail.com>

The Systems group at Houghton Mifflin Co. is looking to hire a Sr.
Unix Engineer.  We work at the main office right near Copley Square in
downtown Boston.  Job description is pasted below; skills of primary
interest to us would be:

Solaris  - required Strong skill set
Legato / NetBackup  - required Strong plus
SAN - required
Linux
HPOpenView
MacOS
Autosys
Vmware
Windows Servers
Active Directory

If interested, please send a resume to Gisele_Murphy at hmco.com and
mention my name in your cover letter.  Please note, requests for
information must include a resume to garner a reply.  Thank you.

--
Matt Ryan
mattryan at pobox.com

---------------------

HMCo JOB DESCRIPTION

JOB TITLE: Senior Systems Engineer - Unix / Legato

TITLE REPORTING TO: Manager of Systems Services	BUSINESS UNIT: Corporate IT

OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY (3-5 sentences): This position is a key role in
the Systems Group within the Operations and Support department. This
position provides expertise in the areas of Unix and Windows system
administration with responsibility for engineering and supporting the
Legato based backup environment. This position will also share
responsibility for SAN storage management, Veritas cluster
configuration, DNS and DHCP administration, project management, and
customer relations. The Systems Engineer position will deliver and
support enterprise solutions to all divisions within Houghton Mifflin.

PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES

1
Design, implement, and support critical backup and restore facilities
based on the Legato backup suite.

2
Manage distributed data centers including power, A/C, rack space,
monitoring, and hardware and software inventory.

3
Design and implement new Unix, Windows, and SAN based solutions that
meet the corporate and divisional needs of the company.

4
Participate in a 7x24 on-call support rotation for all of Houghton
Mifflin's systems and applications.

5
Establish and enforce policies, processes, and procedures for
infrastructure and applications.

6
Work closely with corporate and divisional development teams to meet
business and technology objectives while ensuring robust, supportable
solutions.

7
Monitor and maintain the production environment to exceed expectations
for security, capacity, performance and reliability.

8
Provide technical expertise and recommendations for various projects
throughout the organization to ensure that new projects fit within the
current infrastructure strategy.

9
Research, identify, and evaluate technology alternatives that meet
business requirements.

10
Other duties as assigned

SKILLS/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
MANAGEMENT/FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Solaris, SAN, NAS, Windows, Perl, scripting
Project management, interpersonal skills

EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Required:
* 2 or more years hands on experience with Legato backup software.
* 4-6 years system administration experience in either Windows or Unix
(Solaris).
* Ability and desire to become an expert system administrator in both
Windows and Solaris.
* Experience in SAN/NAS, web servers, and third party middleware packages.
* Experience in implementing and supporting mission critical systems
and high availability solutions.
* Experience writing moderate to advanced scripts (Perl, shell, or
Windows scripting).
* Experience in operating system and Internet security.
* Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment.
* Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.

* Excellent troubleshooting skills.
* Good communication skills, both written and oral.
* Ability to convey technical concepts to audiences with varied
technical skills.
* Willingness to take on new projects and to expand technical knowledge.
Preferred:
* Working knowledge of Active Directory, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, LDAP,
Network and Firewall configuration.
* Knowledge of any of EMC products, HTML, XML, CGI, Java, Oracle, SQL
Server, Documentum, Weblogic, and Macintosh a plus.
* Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science or a related IT field
is preferred.
* Experience in managing large-scale storage arrays.