Web based documentation

Hi all -

I'm looking for some suggestions (general or specific) with regards to
web based software system for doing documentation.  The short story is
that we have an in-house web based software project that we want to
finally provide documentation for.  The basic requirements/wishlist goes
something like this:

* Must be configurable to require authentication to read it.
  - A plus: pluggable authentication so the current user database could
            be used.
  - A plus: If the requirement for authentication before hand could be
            on a page by page basis.  In other words, some pages (or
            areas) would require it, others not.

* Must have separate permissions for reading/writing documentation.
  - A plus: If this was on a page/area basis.

* CVS compatibility - If we're working on a big upgrade for the project
that will involve lots of documentation changes, I'd like to be able to
write the documentation before hand and deploy it at the same time we
deploy the software updates.

* Web based - needs to support "normal" browsers.

We took a look at a couple wiki's, but I didn't find one that could help
with the CVS compatibility issue.

Anybody have experiences or thoughts to share?  Thanks in advance!

--
"Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math."

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com