building GD/gcc linking..

Ok, I was trying to build GD and it kept telling me libjpeg wasn't
installed, so after some tracking, it comes down to this:
ld says it can't find the library:
    gcc ./test.c -o test -L/usr/lib -l jpeg
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg

I tried several variations of this:
    gcc ./test.c -o test -L/usr/lib -l libjpeg
    gcc ./test.c -o test -L/usr/lib -l libjpeg.so.62
    gcc ./test.c -o test -L/usr/lib -l /usr/local/libjpeg.so.62

all with the same result.
I then did this:
    /sbin/ldconfig -v | grep -i jpeg
         libimlib-jpeg.so -> libimlib-jpeg.so
         libjpeg.so.62 -> libjpeg.so.62.0.0

Which I believe indicates that it should have found it.

Any suggestions?

-=Grant M=-