obscure mv behavior?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
"Ken Gosier" <ken at kg293.net> wrote:

> Hi, I'm getting a little funny behavior out of mv. Most times when I want
> to move a directory, I can just do:
>
> mv srcDir trgDir
>
> and everything's fine. (That is, srcDir will no longer be there, and now I
> will have a directory trgDir/srcDir.) Sometimes, however, I get the error
> message:
>
> mv: srcDir is a directory
>
> I haven't been able to figure out the special circumstances under which I
> get this message. (It happens randomly, as far as I can tell.) btw, I'm
> running on Solaris 2.6. Also, if I explicitly say:
>
> mv srcDir trgDir/srcDir
>
> then it works correctly. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Case 1:
trgDir/srcDir does not exist
	mv srcDir trgDir # should work
case 2:
trgDir/srcDir exists
	mv srcDir trgDir # should fail

This is the only thing I can think of that would prevent mv from
working here.

I don't have a Solaris box available to me at home, so I can't try to
reproduce it.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group