comcast blocking smtp25

Hi, Jeff,

> Comcast limits outgoing email to 20 addresses  per email and something
> less than 300 per day.
>
> Exceed these limits and they shut you off from emailing completely for
> at least 3 or 4 days.

> Comcast will willingly lie directly to your face abut these policies.
> If you ask Comcast about these policies they will deny that they exist.
>
> But if you hit them and get blocked when you chase the problem down with
> them, they will tell why you were blocked.

How did you get the customer service drones to tell you _why_ you were
blocked?

In a similar situation recently, I called them on behalf of
one of their customers and was simply told that Comcast had detected
spam coming from their address, and they should install AV and anti-spyware
software, have their system "professionally cleaned", etc, etc.  But
the drone would not provide any specific evidence, and claimed that
after the system was cleaned, the block would automatically vanish.

It was very annoying for me and for the customer, especially since
the system in question _is_ clean.  However, the customer does send
out email via other ISPs' SMTP servers -- might that look like spamming?
Well, I guess.

(I found a workaround:  send via other ISPs' non-port-25 servers!)

Bob Leigh	bobleigh at twomeeps.com