php software recommendation

serendipity [s9y.org] is a blog software that excels at ease of use,
and has nice tools for incorporating 'media' into a media library and
placing that media into your articles with various layout options and
thumbnail generation.

Since it is so easy to setup, you should at least give it a sample.  I
don't know much about your requirements from your post, but I've found
over time that less is more (meaning that PHP-Nuke style content
management systems can be overkill for many projects.)  The good
websites still revolve around good content.

For more pure image gallery solutions, you want to try gallery
(gallery.sourceforge.net), which by the way can be integrated into
phpnuke and other CMS systems.  For production, use Gallery 1, but for
the advanced/developmer you might want to try the beta G2.

hth