eth0 LapTop broken

Hello,

I have  a Dell Laptop that will not recognize
the Linksys PCM100 net card.

It has FC - 2 resident on it. I tried to upgrade
to FC - 4. The install chewed on all of the
CD's in the FC- 4 set, without an error
or any indication that things weren't O.K.
I.E., after CD 1 ejected (1 hour later),
put in CD 2 and chewed on that for 40 - 50 minutes (?)
Made it through 4 CDs (set) without error message.

Restarted machine, and FC - 2 came back up (huh?)

Previous use of this FC - 4 set, on another desktop
machine was uneventful and successful.
When install was complete, FC - 4 came up with
kernel 2.6.11 ! (Let's Rock!).

Want to find  a fallback position, so poked
around Laptop  and noticed
that everything seemed to work,
except will not bring up
Net Card or Eth0, now...

Tried Live CD , Ubuntu 5.04, loads O.K.
It does in fact recognize eth0 pcmcia card,
Lights on PCM100 card come on, upon boot.
Bring up browser and connect to 'Net O.K.

So, obvious driver or module missing in
FC - 2 resident distro.

What's missing ?

So poked around Ubuntu, in file:
/proc/modules, and found:
---------------------
pcnet_cs  live
8390, pcnet_cs  live
pcmcia,  pcnet_cs  live
yenta_socket  live
pcmcia_core  pcnet_cs, pcmcia, yenta_socket
// showing modules or drivers with related
dependencies.

So, went back to FC - 2, /proc file
to compare (???)
---------------------
pcnet_cs  live
ds 12292   pcnet_cs  live
pcmcia_core  pcnet_cs, ds,  live
8390  6912   pcnet_cs, ds  live

Have SysRescueDisk, thus boot this
Gentool live CD, which will not connect to eth0
So I said
what will /proc/modules show?
---------------------
8390  5088  0
yenta_socket  0
pcmcia_core [yenta_socket]
aironnet 4500 core  not used.

I assume this is a vanilla ethernet card and
perhaps a generic driver would be used
to bring up the card? So what driver
(or module) do I look for?

Also tried a new Comp USA 10/100
ethernet pcmcia card, with same results.

Okay, forget the SysRescueDisk .
The driver is just not there...

Any comments accepted (duh?)

TIA