[OT] Help with ancient Mac

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> The floppies aren't the problem; it's finding a working drive to
> format and write them. Macs used 3.5" floppies formatted to
> 800KB, rather than 720KB: the tracks were written by a narrower
> head. IIRC, Amigas oould deal with the same format.

The 800K floppies were written with the same head design as 720K
floppies; the reason you got 800K instead of 400K is that the disks were
double-sided. It was the data recording technique that made Mac floppies
different from everyone else's. They used both a different bit encoding
(GCR rather than MFM, if you must know), and variable data rate
recording (the larger outer tracks held more data than the small inner
ones). (By the way, CDs, DVDs, and all modern hard disks also use that
trick to squeeze in more data.) On the original 400K drives, the
variable data rate thing was done by actually changing the rotational
speed of the disk drive; that's why the sound of the drive changed as it
read different parts of the disk. On the 800K version, it was done by
changing the data rate clock of the disk controller, eliminating the
need for a disk drive that was mechanically different from everybody
else's disk drives.

At one time, Central Point Software (later bought out by
Norton/Symantec) sold the Copy II PC Option Board. The primary purpose
of the thing was duplicating copy-protected floppies. But it also came
with software that could read and write Macintosh floppies, which was
actually the main reason I bought it; I was doing the BCS Atari
newsletter at the time, and I wanted to be able to read the Mac disks
that I had put some of the newsletters on. I had that board at one time,
but I don't think I still do; in any case, I no longer have any
computers with ISA slots.

The Amiga used yet another native format that squeezed 880K onto the
same disk. But the machine could also read the 720K PC format, and the
400K and 800K Macintosh formats.

When the 1.44MB floppies came along, everybody standardized on the same
sector size and recording format. It's done by squeezing more data onto
each track, rather than using narrower heads; the new disks have a
different magnetic coating. The Mac continued to use its own file
system, so you still can't read those floppies on a Windows box unless
you install a special driver. That's also true for Linux, but the
software is free.

It would be tough to find any new 720K/800K floppy disks now; all the
floppies I've seen in stores any time recently are 1.44MB disks. Using
the 1.44MB disks and formatting them in 800K format would work to a
limited extent. (You'll get the best results by bulk-erasing the 1.44MB
disk before doing the 800K format, unless you can find the rare floppy
that's not pre-formatted at the factory.) The old machine with the 800K
drive probably won't be able to write to the disk (the new magnetic
coating requires a stronger magnetic field to write, and the old drive
probably won't be up to the job), but should be able to read data
written by the new drive.

Finally, you'll need a Mac old enough to have a built-in floppy drive to
do any of this. I don't think the USB drives that people use with new
Macs bother with any backward compatibility for the older floppy formats.