[OT] Does anyone have a spare CDMA Cellphone?

This won't help you now, but my understanding of GSM is that if your phone
craps out and your id chip thingie isn't hurt you can buy the cheapest
crap GSM phone you can find, swap in your old id chip thingie, unlock the
phone with a hack code and resume your regular service while your original
phone is being repaired.

Anybody that knows the proper words for those terms want to confirm this?
Can this be done with CDMA too?

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)
Network Staff Assistant