[BBLISA] Tape backup program for Debian?

On 6/18/05, Scott Ehrlich <scott at ehrlichtronics.com> wrote:
> I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 D02/F02 server with a Compaq Smart
> Array 431 Controller set as RAID 5 with three 18 Gig drives (35 Gig
> total)  and a Compaq SDT-9000 12/24G Compaq DAT tape drive.
> The machine will be used as the office intranet web server.
>
> I just installed the Sarge stable distribution of Debian on it and am
> looking for recommendations for a tape backup package/method.  I am
> familiar with tar and cron, but want to explore recommended
> options/alternatives.  The goal would be to perform a full backup, then
> incrementals.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

It has been very educational and interesting to read about the various
backup methods.   It also was revealed to me, from the responses, that
my question left out the fact that the backup method is to save data
on the local hard drive of the machine to the locally installed tape
drive, on a daily schedule, with a weekly full backup, to a DDS3 12/24
Gig tape. I have no plans to do any network activity for this backup.

All my searches of local backup options haven't been too fruitful.

Additional insights welcome.

Thank you.

Scott