aclocal problems

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 22:30 -0400, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I am having problems compiling various programs and I think it has
> something to do with aclocal/autoconf/automake which I'm not too
> familiar with yet.  Below are some error messages.  Any ideas on how to
> fix my configuration?  I am running Fedora FC3.  I updated gettext
> (0.14.5), automake (1.9.5), and m4 (1.4.3).

Hi Robert,

It looks like you're trying to do more than just build Xine.  If you're
running the auto-tools then you're actually trying to assemble the
"configure" script.  And thats a bit more work than whats typically
required to build from most from-source ("tar-ball") packages.

So, first ask yourself if you really need to do yet-another from-source
build of Xine for FC3 when there are perfectly usable binary RPMs
available at a few different repos including:

  http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
  http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html
  [ also can be helpful though it doesn't
    have Xine: http://atrpms.net/dist/fc3/ ]

If the answer is "yes, I just *have* to fool with building it" then I
suggest you start by looking at the Xine SRPMs from the above repos.
The SRPMs are very informative since they usually show (in detail) how
to do a good job or building and installing software.

And if you're doing builds on Fedora or any other RPM-based distro, then
you owe it to yourself to learn how to read and use RPM spec files.
They're quite helpful and, with the exception of the largest and/or most
complicated packages, they're not too hard to understand.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307