VoIP and POTS

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:46:07PM -0400, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I want to setup a home PBX system.  Essentially, I'd like a switch that
> can make either POTS or VoIP calls.  Each telephone in the house would
> talk to the switch over Ethernet only.  There would be some way to
> choose POTS or VoIP from each phone for outgoing calls.  Can this be
> done?  If so, what products would I need?

>From what I know, Asterisk is a cool program.  A big program, a lot to
learn, and possibly very worth learning.  A more just-make-it-work
approach would be to buy a Sipura SPA-3000.  Plug regular phones into
it (use your current wiring), plug it into your POTS line, plug it
into ethernet, do some configuring (not trivial, use tools at
Voxilla), and you can have it route calls based on number dialed, to
one (or more VoIP) providers, or out the POTS line.  Quite cool, not
too expensive.

-kb