Fwd: Delivery report

On 18 May 2005 Josh ChaitinPollak wrote:

> I'm getting a lot of emails similar to this one, I assume someone is
> sending spam in my name.

Most likely one of the Sober worm variants is sending itself in your
name, but to invalid addresses, then you get the bounces.

> Have other people started getting these bulk failures?

Yes.  It seems to hit any given domain for a day or two then move on,
so if you can weather the storm in the short term you'll be OK at least
for now.

> Is there anything I can do to stop people from spoofing my email
> address? No right?

Yes -- don't have an email address :-(.  If you do have one, and reveal
it to someone who gets an infection you will then get hit either
directly or from your address being used as a spoofed sender.  No way
around it AFAIK.

> Is there anyway to filter real mail deliver errors (for messages I
> actually sent) from the crap ones?

I don't think so.  You could use a Bayesian filter and start marking
the spam ones as spam but my guess is it would not be able to tell the
difference very well and some real ones would get marked that way too.

--
Tom