Compaq 8712 Recovery CDs

Ed Frankenberry wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> I have a set of WinXP home recovery CDs for the Presario 6410nx,
> but they probably wouldn't work on your system.  Can't you order
> another set from HP for $10.
>     good luck,
>     Ed
>

> Bill Horne wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know where I can get the Recovery CD(S) that go with a
>> Compaq 7812?

Ed,

Thanks for your reply: I should have said "for free", since I
fat-findered the model number: it's a 8712, not a 7812.

It's too old to invest much in, but it has 128MB of ram and a good HD,
so I'd like to get it going as a SAMBA server if I can do it without
spending much. I'm really looking for someone with the same model so I
can clone the diagnostic partition, but I don't need any OS.

As it stands now, it had a 2.5GB "Fat Boy" Compaq HD, which is the 5.25
Inch model they used at one time. It was removed from service in a CPA's
office, and they wiped the HD. I put in a 6GB Maxtor, but I can't access
the BIOS setup and the machine just says it detected a "Type 65" (IIRC,
User defined) drive, and it won't boot from it, so I know the geometry
is off.

Bill

--
E. William Horne