RHEL 4 & Hibernate

This doesn't answer your question, but people who hate Redhat will be
amused to know that RHEL4 FINALLY provides the ability out of the box to
shut off SMP machines when the user issues the poweroff command. This
support went stable in kernel.org's kernel in 2.4.22 if I remember
correctly, which was over a year ago. This is particularly amusing when
one considers RHEL is the "premiere" Redhat distribution aimed at
enterprise systems.

Previously, the system would shutdown all commands and cowardly print
"poweroff" to the screen, remaining on until somebody physically went to
the system. In this state the system also ignores WOL requests, since the
system isn't actually powered off.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)
Network Staff Assistant