Paul Norton <paul.norton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to tar files from a mounted samba share...
> Funny thing is, it produces a perfectly good tar.gz file, and it tar's
> all contents. But before it gets to '&& umount //$computer/docs' it
> spits out "tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"

Hi, Paul. I seem to recall that tar will do this if one or more files
changed while tar was running and that this can be pretty common. In
this case, it should've dumped out a previous message "file changed as
we read it" or some such. Basically, there are certain errors IIRC that
will cause tar to die, but not until it's done its work.

I also seem to remember a program called smbtar. You may find it more
convenient. [Sound of web pages flipping...] Here we go:

   http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smbtar.1.html

In fact, it's probably already installed on your box, along with the
other samba client stuff. [Sound of man pages flipping...] Yup!

-TimK
--
J. Timothy King  ..team-oriented..object-oriented..Agile..
www.jtse.com       ..C++..Perl..Java..assembly..embedded.systems..