On 4/21/05, Paul Norton <paul.norton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to tar files from a mounted samba share.  I tell tar to
> tar up contents of a samba directory and place the tar.gz on my local
> drive.  I have tried this on several different samba shares with the
> same issue.
>
> For example:
>
> mount -o password= //$computer/docs /mnt/boston/$computer/docs && tar
> cvfz /mnt/usbdrive/boston_backups/$computer/docs.tar.gz
> /mnt/boston/$computer/docs/ && umount //$computer/docs
>
> Funny thing is, it produces a perfectly good tar.gz file, and it tar's
> all contents.  But before it gets to '&& umount //$computer/docs' it
> spits out "tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"

If tar is printing that message, it should also be some errors earlier
on. Is there anything on STDERR (easier to see if you redirect STDOUT
to /dev/null or temporarily remove the 'v' option)?

Also, the logic probably isn't quite right. The unmount won't run if
the tar fails, but presumably you always want to unmount if the mount
succeeded. Switch the last '&&' for a ';' and it will always attempt
to unmount at the end.

--
Andrew Medico <a.medico at gmail.com>