Help with Knoppix, mount via smbfs, and stale NFS handle

I'm experimenting with using a Knoppix CD to boot a PC I plan to try
and image.   I have a second machine running WinXP and a shared
folder.   I created /mnt/hd mount the local hard drive and /mnt/image
to mount the shared drive.

I have managed to temporarily mount the shared drive via:
mount -t smbfs -o username=<me>,workgroup=<netbios name>
//<ip_of_win_box/image /mnt/image

I am prompted for the password, enter it, and am brought back to the
root prompt.   But, as soon as I attempt ls /mnt/image I get an
immediate:
ls: image : Permission denied

If I cd  to /mnt/image I get in, but if I perform an ls from within, I get:

ls: .: Stale NFS file handle

What am I missing?

The goal is to use this setup in place of products like Ghost,
especially with a limited budget, and a chance for me to learn more
about Linux :-)

Thanks for any insight.

Scott