Amazing tricks you can do with your IDE interface

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:49:00 -0500, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> However, I _AM_ able to mount _BOTH_ /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc5, and I
> can transfer data from /dev/hdc1 to the new, shrink-wrapped jazz disk
> mounted as /dev/hdc5. Moreover, the client recognizes the data I'm
> able to move!
>
> So, the question is: what/where is /dev/hdc1? There's only one hard
> drive in the machine, and I've verified that it's connected as the
> Primary Master IDE device.

Did you check the block device file major/minor numbers (ls -l
/dev/hdc*)? The names are completely arbitrary - it's the numbers that
control which device actually gets accessed through the file. My guess
is that Knoppix's hardware detection messed up and set up the device
files incorrectly

--
Andrew Medico <a.medico at gmail.com>