Annoying screen backspace problem

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:39:06PM -0500, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> writes:
>
> > If you log in to remote machines frequently, you've problably used
> > screen.  If so, you've probably run into cases where backspace doesn't
> > work properly sometimes, even though most of the time it does.  I
> > finally got annoyed enough that I tracked this down, and I thought I'd
> > share my solution with you.
>
> shoving 'stty ek' into my .profile seems to have fixed this behavior
> such that I haven't experienced it since.

Yeah, certainly that should do it.  An alternate I suggested in the
bug report I wrote was this:

  tset -Q -e

Which should do the same thing (except without initializing the kill
character).  Incidentally, stty ek on an HP-UX machine would (IIRC)
set the kill character to @, making it a little tough to use
terminal-based e-mail clients...  Generally not very desirable.

Er, anyway, when I tried to use the above tset command, I started
experiencing a strange echo problem.  I've also noticed that the reset
command fails to properly reset the terminal on xterm, gnome-terminal,
and konsole.  I think the ncurses package on FC2 is just plain b0rk3n,
but that's a whole other debug session. :-/

-=-=-=-=-