Amazing tricks you can do with your IDE interface

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:49:00PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
>

>>which shows /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc5. I understand /dev/hdc5, (assuming
>>jazz drives have the same format as Zip disks), but /dev/hdc1 has me
>>_very_ confused.
>>

>[snip]
>
>>However, I _AM_ able to mount _BOTH_ /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc5, and I
>>can transfer data from /dev/hdc1 to the new, shrink-wrapped jazz disk
>>mounted as /dev/hdc5. Moreover, the client recognizes the data I'm
>>able to move!
>>

>This I don't understand. /dev/hdc1 ought to be on that Jaz disk
>as well.
>
>-dsr-

That't the mystery! My client (not the machine, but the human who hired
me) verified the directory and file names I copied from /dev/hdc1 to
/dev/hdc5, and confirmed that they were originally on the hard drive!
Yet, the hard drive is _definitely_ wired to the Primary Master IDE
port, and I get (as expected) disk seek/read errors when I try to mount
/devhda[1-4].

The Jazz disk was shrink-wrapped: there is no way the client's data
could have gotton on to it before the Maxtor drive failed, no matter
what partition.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

--