Mount remote ntfs partition?

I am looking to perform disk imaging by booting a machine from a
floppy.   I've used Ghost and the former PowerQuest Drive Image
Professional, to deal with images on a remote Windows machine.

I'm now wondering if I can a similar task, but instead of using DOS
bootable floppies and "net use", replace that with bootable Linux
floppies, mount the remote share and local drive to local mount
points, and use dd?   The remote system is Windows (XP Pro)
partitioned with NTFS.
The remote system would have a publicly available shared directory
containing the images.

Thanks for any ideas/insight.

Scott