OT: trouble with Linksys RT41P2

I am using a Linksys Rt41P2 router (supplied by AT&T) with a Terayon cable
modem with Comcast Cable and always have trouble getting back online if
the router and cable modem become unplugged (as has been happening to me a
lot lately if I neglect to close the door to my office since we have a dog
who likes to lay down in front of the computer, causing the chord to
become unplugged).  When I plug the power strip back in, I always wind up
doing the following to get things working again:

- unplug the modem
- disconnect the network cable from the router and plug it directly into
my desktop
- run the dhcp server on my desktop to get a lease
- disconnect the network cable from the desktop and plug it back into the
router
- unplug the router, then plug it back in

Do any of you have some idea of what might be going on?

Thanks,

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --