Problem uploading video

Hello:

I am trying to upload video to my linux box.  Reading the tutorials,
some folks recommend using kino.  I loaded three modules manually:

> modprobe raw1394
> modprobe ohci1394
> modprobe video1394

This appeared to work:

> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
video1394              18892  0
dv1394                 21452  0
eth1394                21768  0
ohci1394               35588  2 video1394,dv1394
raw1394                31596  0
ieee1394              111352  5 video1394,dv1394,eth1394,ohci1394,raw1394

I looked in /dev, but saw no devices like /dev/raw1394, /dev/video,
etc.  That may be correct (not sure) as I am running Linux amd
2.6.8-1-k7.

Running as root in kino, preferences, IEEE1394, there is a clear
complaint: "The IEEE 1394 Subsystem is not responding.  The raw1394
module must be loaded, and you must have read and write access to
/dev/raw1394.

I don't have /dev/raw1394, and don't know how to proceed.

doug