Software Tool & Die

Hello Tom:

I am able to ssh to the World.  As you well know, they do not do put
effort into informing folks about how things are changing.  I was
unable to login on Sunday, after the big change was suppose to be in
place.

As a former tech support guy at the world, you might think I'd know more
about how things operate, but that is not they way Barry Shein operates
things.  So I had to guess about the business reasons for moving equipment
(change happens very slowly at the world).  They have two ways to connect
to the world, a national dial-up service, and a bank of lines from
Verizon.  The world has been under a financial squeeze for some time.  I
lost my job in the second round of layoffs, and my former manager lost his
position a few months ago.  My thought was they may have ditched Verizon,
the 617-739-9753 number.  When I switched to 617-507-5465, it connected.
I cannot be certain that the 9753 is dead, but will presume so.

The web-based email appears to work.  All my mail is forwarded to my gmail
account, a switch I made after too much email was being filtered out
without me knowing about it.

doug