More info about my job search

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:05:06 -0500 (EST), Scott Ehrlich
<scott at ehrlichtronics.com> wrote:

> I've lived the 24/7 on-call life, and have no interest in returning to it.

If you refuse to do on-call there's a good chance you won't find work.
Most employers these days want you to be flexible when it comes to
working late or after hours.

Before the dot-bust, I got paid for on-call and it was an optional
thing, those who wanted to participate got to.  Since the bust, it's
been a mandatory thing (where I've worked anyway) and I've been told
at the numerous places I've worked, that if I don't want to
participate they will find someone who will and I can find a new job.

I'm also not saying that every IT job will have on-call, but don't say
I will never.  Even though a job may not require on-call, letting your
prospective employer (or recruiter) know that you are willing to help
them out in an emergency could mean the difference between you getting
the job and someone else getting the job.

Other things to consider, when I was looking for work a couple years
ago, I told people I would only work in Boston or on the South Shore
and wasn't willing to drive anywhere.  That limited my job options
because a lot of companies are moving out west of Boston.

Just keep your options (and mind) open to the possibilities that come
up.  You could miss a really good opportunity by saying no too quick.

--
Matt Shields
http://masnetworks.biz