New Linux PVR option

This sounded promising at first. I pulled down the SDK to take a look.

If it really does support V4L2, it will support mythtv or mythtv will
support it, however you want to think about it. Unless Plextor releases
their own PVR software solution, this device is just a recording device:
it doesn't have it's own file management or storage. The USB controller
needs to grab an IRQ. I guess this device doesn't grab an IRQ that isn't
already in use. In fact, if this thing is really going to do serious video
encoding, it will probably require USB 2.0.

In other news, their firmware upgrades appear to require Windows.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/LinuxSDK.htm
Their sdk file is in zip format, and the filename contains spaces. A good
way to show they understand linux developers. So I unzipped the file,
which has a gzip tarball inside. Inside the tgz is (among other things) a
firmware directory, containing go7007fw.bin and PX-402U.bin

They appear to be offering the source for those firmware files, so this
has a chance of making the mainstream kernel. GPL's prominently placed at
the top of the source. And there's a clue of what's inside the box: I
noticed the saa7115 driver, which is also used by the Hauppauge PVR x50
series cards.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)
Network Staff Assistant