Linux robots (mouse cables have lead?)

> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> I went to Microcenter Today, I could not find a single serial mouse.
>> Plenty of PS/2 mice, plenty of USB mice. Not a single serial port mouse.
>
> They're pretty much extinct, because all computers have either PS/2 or
> USB ports nowadays. But the PS/2 port is really just a special dedicated
> serial port, so PS/2 mice will work as serial mice if you can track down
> one of the old PS/2 to serial adapters.

I have about half a dozen DB9 to PS/2 adapters collected over the years. I
would hesitate, however, to make the broad statement that any PS/2 mouse
would work on an RS-232 serial port. The two big differences is that the
PS/2 port has 5 volts available on a pin, while the RS-232 port does not
supply power, and the PS/2 port is standard TTL level signals while the
RS-232 port uses differential voltage.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with the idea of using a PS/2 mouse for
this. It is such a cool idea.

>> The mouse I bought was a Memorex Raton PS/2 3 button mouse. really
>> cheap.
>> Well, on the end that plugs into the computer, there is a tag that
>> reads:
>>
>> Warning:
>> Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical
>> known
>> to the state of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other
>> reproductive harm.
>> Wash hands after handling.
>>

>> Scary.
>
> Nearly all electronic devices contain lead; it's a component of solder.
> There is a shift underway, especially in Europe, to lead-free electronic
> manufacturing, because of concerns about lead in the environment, but
> lead inside your gadgets isn't a hazard unless you handle the soldered
> connections.

Obviously.

> Handling the outside of the cord isn't likely to expose you to any
> measurable amounts of lead; the lead is INSIDE the cord, surrounded by
> plastic.
I found this, it is pretty interesting:

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pr/pr18052004.shtml