Linux robots (mouse cables have lead?)

I went to Microcenter Today, I could not find a single serial mouse.
Plenty of PS/2 mice, plenty of USB mice. Not a single serial port mouse.

I figured I could use a USB mouse for the system mouse and use the PS/2
port to run the encoder stuff. I'm going to take apart the mouse and use
the LED and dual detectors right at my encoders and use the CTC/serial
mouse works to do the rest. I'll split the X/Y mouse channels to
differential drive channels on the robot.

The mouse I bought was a Memorex Raton PS/2 3 button mouse. really cheap.
Well, on the end that plugs into the computer, there is a tag that reads:

Warning:
Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known
to the state of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other
reproductive harm.
Wash hands after handling.

Scary.