Embedded software/hardware

I know there's a couple of people here doing embedded development; I'm
hoping one can give me some advice.

So http://www.agilerules.com is developing a workshop on doing embedded
software development using agile/extreme programming with open source tools.
  We have this ARM-based development board (ARM 7T).  Only now they're not
making them anymore, and we need to find another board to use instead.

In a perfect world, we would be able to use Linux on the board, but that's
not critical, as long as we can use Linux/GCC on the PC to develop for it.
It's gotta have a couple of LEDs and switches to interact with too,

We've been thinking about the ARM9 and StrongARM as natural targets, since
staying ARM will probably mena less porting and less relearning.  A quick
search found http://www.nohau.com/emularm/eb40a.html, to give you an idea of
what we're looking for.

I was very surprised to see only one embedded vendor at LinuxWorld.

Recommendations?
Thanks.