Help learning Linux

On Thursday 17 February 2005 4:20 pm, Bob Gorman wrote:
> At 04:04 PM 2/17/2005, Todd Posey wrote:
> >If you had to start from scratch, how would you go about learning linux?
> >  What can I do in Linux that is fun and that will get me hooked?  What
> > distribution or books should I get?
>
> For "stupid user" books there are:
>         Point & Click Linux!
>         Linux For Dummies
>         Linux For The Rest Of Us
>
> Before installing a distro you can play with some of the Live CDs
> available. Some random ones: SUSE
>         PCLinuxOS
>         SimplyMEPIS
>         Knoppix
>
> There are more, I expect others will chime in.
I fully agree here. I have not tried PCLinuxOS or SimplyMEPIS, but Knoppix
(http://www.knoppix.org)  is excellent full-featured Linux with KDE.

Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions here or at our meetings. You
can also come to our installfests either as an attendee or as a volunteer.
By spending a day watching some of us install Linux you'll get to see how
the installs go and you'll still get to ask questions.

Linux is also taught at some adult education seminars, and Northeastern has
a course, Linux for the Desktop that I teach.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group