terse editor

Here is my first post.  I have just moved back to
the area from Cleveland, OH.  Hello everyone.

[inline replies below]

--- karina.popkova at verizon.net wrote:

> with minimal key strokes
> one could build code or edit a script
> with ease and simplicity.
> (I am starting to appreciate the idea
> of working at the command line, so
> that the focus is on the task at hand.)

If you are appreciating the idea of a command line,
then start with ed or ex.. then move to something
complicated like vi, vim, or even emacs.  As a staunch
vim user, I notice quite an advantage over gui editors
as I never have to leave the keyboard to use the (ugh)
mouse.

> They indicated that EMACs however, had greater
> utility in the development environment because
> one could edit, but also compile code without
> leaving the environment.

Sorry,, I wouldn't know.  I have tried emacs, and thought
it was okay, but since I already use vi, and vi is typically
available,  If you want to compile something, though, it's
probably best to go to the command line.  There's always a
shell escape sequence, or something to send a command to
the shell (in vi, it's like this-> :!ls -la ).  I have been
using Gvim, which is not vi, and is a gui, but can be used
just like vi.  You can even set the environment to behave
exactly like vi (but the other stuff is too much fun!)

> As I use Fedora Core 3, the editor
> gedit seems easy to use, but it is sorta
> 'point and click' like windoze stuff.

gedit is nothing like vi or emacs, as it was built to be
used with a mouse.  emacs and vi can be used without a gui.
I guess that brings up another good point: what if X doesn't
work???  You can edit that XF86Config file with vi!  ;->

> To what extent is vi or EMACs used,
> day to day, for development activities,
> writing code, editing, compiling, debug,
> etc ... Do hackers still use this stuff
> or do they concede to graphical editors
> and perhaps move onto next generation
> "eclipse" as an environment?

Personally, I use vi every time I want to write a text file.
This is because it is quick and reliable, and I know how to use
it better than TextEdit, or whatever.  It also needs no mouse,
and I prefer to not use the mouse or trackpad.
I have also used vi (vim, really) extensively to write code,
and would most likely not be happy writing any code, or editing
any text file without it.

Go here:

http://vim.org

download gvim, and you can learn to use vim with the gui, and
transition yourself to it.  The documentation is fabulous, and
the community is just as good.

Let us know what you do!  I, for one, and anxious to hear what
you decide to do!

--
Chadwick