Configuring external PS/2-Through-USB mouse

I'm trying to use an external mouse on my SuSE 9.2 Thinkpad T42 It has no
PS/2 port, so I got a PS/2 to USB adapter, and plugged the PS/2 mouse into
the adapter, then the adapter into the USB port.  When I plugged the adapter
in, SuSE aasked me to verify the new keyboard (??!?!) and mouse.  I tried
yast and sax2, and couldn't get either of them to get a configuration that
would respond to the mouse.

For the record, the device is a Hand Track FDM-G11, which is a one-handed
mouse you put your finger through.

So...
Do I treat it like a PS/2 mouse or a USB mouse?
What device?
How do I specify more than one mouse in this newfangled X.org stuff?

PS- I don't have the trackpoint or associated buttons working, either.  Just
the synaptic pad.  I had them working at one point, then YAST overwrote my
XF86Config file.  Thank you, pretty and dangerous GUI.  Tips on that
appreciated, too.  But the external mouse is the higher priority.

And you thought I was going to talk about nothing but LinxuWorld for two
weeks  ;)