Problems with USB to serial adaptor

I don't know anything about gdb, but judging by your input and your error
message, does gdb ignore the first / in /dev/ttyUSB? Is / the character
that indicates you're feeding an argument, like - with ls -l?

Do you need to say something like
(gdb) target /rdi //dev/ttyUSB

Another idea:
do you need to use gdb at all? Can you just read raw output from
/dev/ttyUSB? It should be a file device, like anything else that hides out
in /dev

Maybe you can just do
cat /dev/ttyUSB
and redirect the output to a log you can pick through later.

I don't know anything about your device. Is it expecting input on the
serial device, or does it just dump debugging info to serial? Has somebody
created a proprietary communications method, which requires their binary?
Did they wire the pins in a nonstandard way, and you have to get their
connector or wire your own interface? This would be a good time to dig
through the docs for the device.

If this device is compatible with minicom, you still need to know which
modem settings to try.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)
Network Staff Assistant