SCO on Groklaw :-)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:23:07 -0500
dan at geer.org wrote:

>=20
> Jerry Feldman writes:
>  | I check Groklaw every few days. The most recent article was a bit
humorous.=20
>  | Essentially, SCO and entered a motion of Discovery to get IBM to
produce=20
>  | more documents. IBM just filed a discovery motion to have SCO
"produce to=20
>  | IBM every product Caldera distributed for the past 6 years".
(Remember that=20
>  | Caldera bought SCO and changed its name). In other words, SCO to
IBM -=20
>  | "give me all the information I want", but IBM turned that around
and said=20
>  | the same thing to SCO.=20
>=20
>=20
> If I recall correctly, one of IBM's favorite tactics
> in the now-ancient-history anti-trust case against=20
> them was to respond to discovery motions by sending
> tractor trailer loads of paper in which, lo and behold,
> said documents were actually located.  Literally.

I've seen IBM use the same tactic against  customers.   You
spend an inordinate time trying to figure out why some code
is broken. Finally, after much effort, you document a major
bug  in some system library, and send in a bug report.  You
get back a  pointer  to  page  367  of  volume  43  of  the
documentation, where the bug is described.  And, since it's
documented, they have no intention of ever fixing it. (That
would invalidate the documentation, after all. ;-)

Of course, IBM isn't the only big company to play this game.