Server, interrupted.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:33:25AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> Background: SUSE 9.0 box, A7V8X motherboard, Athlin XP 2200+ processor, 768MB
> RAM. Fully up to date.  Remember that I had the catatonic hard drive problem,
> so I bought abother hard drive to install SUSE 9.2 on.  The plan was to format
> Now, my server is pretty filled to the gills.  Two ethernet cards, CDRW drive,
> DVD-R drive, video card, sound card, USB, FireWire, SCSI card...

> Slap in the face #3: I removed the new hard drive and rebooted.  The IRQ
> conflict did not fix itself.  The sound card continued to violate several
> parts of the Geneva Convention.

Obviously its a Neo-Con.  :)

> I don't have a good grasp of how Linux allocates IRQ's but it seems to me if I
> had enough before, and I return my system to its previous state, that it
> should have enough again.  What am I missing?  How can I shuffle the deck so
> the IRQ's get allocated correctly again?  BTW, I checked, and the BIOS has
> "Plug And Play OS" turned off.

The only simple thing I can think of is to remove several of the added
in cards, unplug the cables to the xtra drives and then reboot so that
kudzu (Or its SUSE equivalaent) can sort of start with a clean slate,
and de-allocate a bunch of ORQ's, then add the stuff back in and reboot
one last time.  This sort of gives the systen a chance to start over
with the IRQ allocation.

Caveat:  I aint never dun this maself.

> DK KD  "Americans generally do the right thing, after first exhausting
> DKK D  all the available alternatives"

So thats why I'm so tired...  :)

Hmmm- coffee or shovel the driveway?  decisions, decisions......
(No contest actually)

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"