faulty CDROMs

> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 8:00:09 -0500
> From: <gbburkhardt at verizon.net>
> Subject: faulty CDROMs
> To: <discuss at blu.org>
>
> I've been having trouble with burning CDROMs; every so
> often, I can't read a file from a CDROM I've created.
> This is especially annoying when working with an ISO
> image from a distribution.
>
> Does anyone have any general rules of thumb on how to increase
> the yield?

A few things to look for:

Check to see if the hard disk on which the image is stored is on the same
IDE chain as the CD burner. This can sometimes cause problems as IDE is
CRAP at sharing IDE channels. I only have one IDE device per controller
port. I spend a couple bucks to get a PCI IDE controller so I can have all
my disks and CD drives separated. It just cancels so many issues.

Check to see if the cable which connects the CD burner to the IDE
controller is an 80 pin grounded IDE cable or a 40 pin old fashioned IDE
cable. If it is a 40 pin, cut it with scissors (in to fine little bits),
set them on fire, bury the ashes, jump up and down on the grave, and draw
a pentagon on the ground around it. *ALL* 40 pin IDE cables should be
removed from ALL IDE devices. The 80 pin cables really are much better.

Check if you have DMA enabled on your IDE chain. If it is on, it may need
to be off due to data corruption. If it is off, it may need to be on for
speed. Experiment.

Depending on the speed of your system, you may need to stop doing anything
else, however, I have an AMD 2400, and I can play music, compile, browse
the web, what ever when I burn a CD.