Compiling 2.6.9-1.724 kernel update

>I get a kernel panic when I boot the latest
>compile from grub. I can still boot to the
>previous kernels (2.6.9-prep that I compiled and
>2.6.9-1.667). I unfortunately did not copy the
>precise wording of the panic, but it was something
>to the effect of:
>
>Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
>root fs on inknown-block(0,0)

>The only difference in this compile is that I
>changed the EXTRAVERSION=  in the top level make
>file so that it would be unique.
>
>VERSION = 2
>PATCHLEVEL = 6
>SUBLEVEL = 9
>EXTRAVERSION = -jbkrev2
>NAME=AC 1
>
>As far as I can tell    make      make install
>and    make modules_install     ran successfully.

I did a google on the kernel panic and there was a
list of at least a hundred matches. Most of the 20
or so I read had to do with recent 2.6 kernels.
This may be coincidence since most of us want to
be current. The recurrent theme seems to be how
mkinitrid was invoked. Were you installing with su
| su - . That may or may not be my problem. It
takes 3 Hrs to compile and I am starting from
scratch again. I always check my grub.conf before
I boot a new kernel as well as look at /boot to
see that all is there that should be including
initrid.<version> . Initrid has always been there.
I posite the question though, if I compile the
file systems into the kernel there will be no
modules to include in the initrid file, so hence
if my grub points to initrid it would follow that
the system would not boot. But following that
logic would say that the kernel I compiled 2
months ago also would not boot, but it does. Here
is another thought, I have been keeping up to date
with yum, could it be possible that my libraries
are ahead of the kernel release.

well I'm whiling away the time while my kernel
compiles.

till next
	Jim kelly-Rand