Mod_Throttle for Apache 2?

We have some custom software that is put out on our 6
clustered(balanced) webservers.  Every 5 minutes that software checks
into our server for a new version, if there is a new version it
downloads it (20MB file).  This happens about 2-3 times per month.
Currently there are over 10000 clients that need to download the
update.  Up until this past week we were able to handle the load and
this is putting a serious strain on our webservers.    We were hoping
to throttle the amount of traffic that each of the webservers would
take and the bandwidth that each client consumes.  And yes, all 10000+
clients need to update during that 5 minute timeframe.

Previously I've used Mod_Throttle for Apache 1.3 on other projects,
but on our new servers they are running Apache 2.  So are there any
similar solutions for Apache 2?

--
Matt Shields
http://masnetworks.biz