Compiling 2.6.9-1.724 kernel update

I get a kernel panic when I boot the latest
compile from grub. I can still boot to the
previous kernels (2.6.9-prep that I compiled and
2.6.9-1.667). I unfortunately did not copy the
precise wording of the panic, but it was something
to the effect of:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on inknown-block(0,0)

The only difference in this compile is that I
changed the EXTRAVERSION=  in the top level make
file so that it would be unique.

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 9
EXTRAVERSION = -jbkrev2
NAME=AC 1

As far as I can tell    make      make install
and    make modules_install     ran successfully.