very low sound

Hi.  After applying update 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 my computer's sound isn't
working properly.  If I turn the volume on my PC's speakers external amp
up all the way underneath the static you can barely hear the the music.
Everything was working wonderfully prior to this update.  I've searched
online, fiddled with the Gnome volume control and alsamixer with no
success.  It's on an HP522n.  Any suggestions on what I should try next?
Thanks.