Restoring MBR - Solved

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:02:31 -0500
Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Refer to "Lessons Learned", Point #1 ;-). I _HAVE_ PM 8! I also have
the
> installation key, _somewhere_.
I maintain the bootable floppy images.

BTW:L install-mbr is a nice utility, but still does not replace LILO or
GRUB.
BTW: One issue with dual booting Linux (which is what I do when I'm
upgrading to a new release) is to make sure that I coordinate the GRUB.

The GRUB stage1 installed in the MBR and points to the stage2 which
could be either in the $(root-system1)/boot/grub or
$(root-system2)/boot/grub. I forgot about this once, and I didn't like
the installation, but I had painted myself into the corner. For the most
part, you can easily edit the menu.lst (eg. grub.conf). I think I had
LILO on the older one at the time.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group