Restoring MBR

On Sun Jan 2 08:15:32 EST 2005 Jerry Feldman said:

> You can have GRUB or LILO rebuild your MBR.
> Boot a rescue CD, a standalone Linux, or boot your installed
> system from CD or floppy.
> If you are using GRUB:
> If you are booting from a rescue:
>   mount your root file system and chroot it.
>   mount your /boot if separate.
> Execute the grub shell. Here is an excerpt from the GRUB docs.
>
>  Once started, GRUB will show the command-line interface (*note
> Command-line interface::). First, set the GRUB's "root device"(1)
> (*note Installing GRUB natively-Footnote-1::) to the boot
> directory, like this:
>
>     grub> root (hd0,0)

[snip]

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip: I tried to start GRUB from floppy, but when I enter
the "root" command, I get an error saying either that the partition
doesn't exist or that the cylinder number is higher than the bios limit,
depending on which partition I try.

Does GRUB have a way to rebuild the partition table?

TIA.

Bill Horne

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.